Friday, January 8, 2016

Judgment

We are all judgmental.  I know you may respond ... "I'm not."

I, too, have an aversion to the accusation of being judgmental.

Yet, I do judge.

I want more of what pleases me, and less of what displeases me - so I judge.

Our natural response to unpleasant or challenging situations is aversion.  Therein, lays the judgment.
We don't mean to judge, but judgment is what the mind does to protect itself from pain.

Of course, the irony is that judgment creates more pain and separation.


We label the pain as bad.  The truth is .... pain just is.  It is not good or bad.  It is hard, but not bad.

Each time we open and accept the pain for what it is, we train ourselves to be a little less judgmental.  

It is our addiction to avoiding the pain that makes life excruciating, not the actual pain.

When we are observant, of our mind's tricks to evade the hurt, then we can see our judgmental tendencies.  By paying attention to our pain, we can see and then release dysfunctional habits (of denouncing pain).

We can train ourselves to lean into our pain, but it does take intentional training.  By doing so, we practice self love  .. which leads to freedom from judgment.